Monday, September 27, 2010

What's Around the Corner?

There has been an idea on my mind lately that applies solely to dating. The idea is that of marriage, and how we decide who we are going to marry. More in-depth it's really about why there are so many singles here in Mormon-land. Let's take the city of Walla Walla, Washington for example. Single's are able to grow up/ move here and find eternal happiness with a significant other. This town is tiny compared to the area of the Salt Lake Valley and Utah County Valley, and yet, I bet that their marriage % in the Singles BRANCH is higher than the % in my ward. Yes they are a branch, yes they are tiny, and yes, they manage to find an eternal companion. The reason for this example, you may be wondering by now, is to enter into your mind this question: Do I put off dating and marriage because I expect something better to be around the corner?


We live in an area where there are a lot of options in people to date. There is a never ending supply of Single Adults and within that community there are all different types, sizes, colors, personalities, careers, eductions, activity status, etc, to choose from. But really, how hard is it to find one person, just one, that you enjoy talking to? That you enjoy hanging out with? That you feel you have something in common with? That wants the same things out of life that you do? I argue that it really isn't that difficult to find someone that meets that criteria. As I was sitting in Sacrament meeting today I started thinking about past relationships, past interests & current interests and really thought, of those guys was there ONE that I could have married? The answer is yes. I could have probably married all of them and been happy. Yes, there are some that I may have been happier with than others, but I still would have been happy.


Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you should settle for just anyone that goes to church on Sunday and is Temple worthy. I'm saying that maybe it's time that we adjust our thinking of the "perfect significant other" and understand that what's around the corner isn't always better, it isn't always right, but yes, it will still always be there. There is a never ending path of corners in our life, but here's a suggestion, start walking on the path with someone, you might stop noticing the corners and what's around them and you might start walking in a straight line, hand in hand with your eternal companion. Yes, you may walk a little ways, hand in hand, and realize that that hand is not the one that you should be holding for eternity, and that's okay. (It's called dating.) Gently release that hand and find another one to hold, but please, stop wondering what's coming up around the corner and start enjoying the company of those walking the path with your right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment